MSL Senior Division 2

13th Sept 2020 at Kilworth

Kilworth – 1

Carrigtwohill United – 2

Scorers : James Furlong, Robert Adam

On Sunday Morning, the Senior team travelled to Kilworth in search of 3 points to keep their momentum going in the league. Both teams started trying to see what the other was about with no clear cut chances created.

However after 20 minutes, Ethan was harshly sent off for a last ditch tackle after a misunderstanding at the back. Carrigtwohill, now down to 10 men steadied the ship and started to get some joy down the right through Billy Manning and James Furlong.

On 30 minutes, Andrew McMahon played a ball in behind the Kilworth defence and into the path of James Furlong who made no mistake in dispatching it into the back of the net!

Kilworth now started to push on but were being kept at bay by the new centre half partnership of Dave Walsh and Ian Murphy. When they did get in behind, Joe Wyer was equal to their efforts in goal but with just 2 minutes to go before half-time, Kilworth made their extra man count. A ball flashed across the box was put into the net by the attacker to make it 1-1 at the break.

The 2nd half began with Carrigtwohill believing there was something in this game for them. With Zack Casagranda out on the left starting to get some joy and then Patrick Keyes up front testing the keeper after good work in the middle by Michael Furlong

Robert Adam replaced Zack and Michael was replaced by Connor O’Leary with 30 minutes to go. Kilworth got a couple of corners in quick succession which were well dealt with by Kevin Daly at the near post and Carrigtwohill started to string some good passes together and from this James Furlong got the ball down the right and whipped in a great ball to Robert Adam who smashed it in at the back post.

The visitors were 2-1 up with 15 left on the clock. David Cummins and Abdul Rahim came into the fold to give fresh legs but Carrigtwohill now had to dig in. Kilworth were pushing for an equaliser but the defence held their shape well.

With just 5 minutes remaining, the goalkeeper Joe Wyer got injured and up stepped Kevin Daly to go in goals while Dylan Wright covered his position. Dylan dealt with everything that came his way and the Carrigtwohill defence restricted Kilworth to just one shot on Kevin Daly’s goal which he dealt with comfortably. David Cummins won a free kick up the pitch and this turned out to be the last kick of the game.

A hard fought 3 points For Carrigtwohill and now onto next week when we entertain Pearse Celtic at home.

Man Of The Match: Ian Murphy