Under-17 Cork Youth League Division 1

Sat, 03 Feb 24 at Ballyadam

Carrigtwohill United – 3

Watergrasshill – 0

Carrigtwohill Utd U-17s continued there winning ways on Saturday with a three-goal victory over a dogged Watergrasshill team. After Carrigtwohill recorded a 9-0 victory in the last home game, Watergrasshill came to Ballyadam tactically prepared to avoid a similar scoreline.

On a breezy afternoon where ground conditions were playable but not great, Carrig went about their business right from the kick off. They dominated possession of the football and put together many phases of passing right out from defence. Watergrasshill played a 5-4-1 system which allowed Alex Lombard at right back and Edras Makumbi at left back the space to play from the back and to move the ball into the attacking areas. Support on the wings was given by Ethan Collins and Leslie Edwards who continued to probe for getting crosses into the box to Seba and Daniel McCarthy. With Carrig playing into the breeze and five red defenders standing their ground, for all the possession stat’s – clear chances were scarce. Two goal scoring opportunities did fall to Leslie and Daniel Mc, where more clinical finishing would have put the Carrig lads ahead.

Finally, a breakthrough did arrive in the 20th minute, after a neat passage of passing Alex Lombard found himself in space on the right wing and whipped in a cross. The cross landed on the left-hand side of the penalty area and was met by the incoming Leslie Edwards – who slotted it home with an accurate finish from 18 yards. The goal was more than Carrig deserved, but despite conceding Watergrasshill remained resilient and kept their defence lines intact. A tactical change was made by Carrig in replacing Jayden Washeka, with Rollie Durango in midfield, to increase our attacking pressures on the away team. On the counter attack Watergrasshill channelled everything through their strong centre forward, who was very well marshalled by Colm Harte throughout the game. Dennis Sitarek and Cillian Murphy covered the penalty area very well and were quick to set up attacks from the back.

Going in at half time winning 1-0 and having 75% possession – meant that the team just needed to be patient, continue the possession play and surely the goals would arrive in the second half. The pattern of play continued much the same in the second half, Rollies presence of breaking from midfield was starting to cause trouble and Seba was also a continuous threat up front. The second goal didn’t arrive until the 65th minute when the hard working Amany broke down play in midfield and slipped a through ball into Rollie. After bringing it forward, Rollie unleashed a low shot from outside the box to the bottom left hand corner of the net. At 2-0 the hard working Daniel McCarthy was replaced by Alex o Sullivan who move to right back. This allowed Alex Lombard move to the right wing and Ethan Collins joined with Seba up top. All three were involved in the final goal, with Seba working so hard inside the box creating the shooting opportunity for himself. Instead he squared the ball across the six yard box to the awaiting Etan Collins for the final tap in. Job done – finally, which allowed the introduction of Rory Dolan, Alex Kingston and Kevin Jones for the final 10 minutes. There were many solid player performances on the day, but the man of the match award deservedly went to Alex Lombard who put in an all-round super display.

Next up is a trip away to Fermoy (2nd placed in the league) Saturday 10th, where a stiffer test will be presented to the lads. With a happy dressing room and positive attitude to training and games, the lads will be giving it their all to keep this winning run going.