League v Innishvilla in Ballyadam Park on Monday 29th May 2017
Carrigtwohill United 3 Innishvilla 3
Scores –
Darragh Hoare, Evan Donnelly, Ronan Ymedi

On a sunny Monday evening, the Under-15’s faced their final league match of the season and this was to be an epic encounter. Win lose or draw, it would not have changed the league fortunes of the home side, but it couldn’t have been more different for the visitors as they were competing for the league winners spot as with games in hand they needed maximum points to keep pressure on current leaders Kanturk.

The match started at a great pace but it was Innishvilla who, not surprisingly were making all the running with an urgency about their play. After just 10 minutes, Carrigtwohill needed to re-organise when top scorer Rob Adam had to come off with a knee problem. The defensive pairing of Alex Canty and Darragh Crowley, re-instated for this match, soaking up all the pressure and remaining solid. However, it seemed like the opening goal would surely come and so it did, when the penalty was awarded for a trip on the edge of the box. At this point, most on-lookers, and probably the visiting team, expected the match to proceed as it had, however it was Carrigtwohill who now took charge and created several chances in the second quarter of the first half with Darragh Hoare netting to bring the scores level at half-time.

The second half went up another gear – again Innishvilla had the best of possession and chances but it was Carrigtwohill who were to go one up. As he had done several times during the season, it was Evan Donnelly who was to prove his worth when he latched on to a long ball played forward to catch the defence napping and then he coolly finish past the keeper. With just 15 minutes left and hopes of winning the league hanging by a thread, Innishvilla threw the kitchen sink at Carrigtwohill. It was manic at times and something had to give.

With just 5 minutes to go, what was a highly entertaining match exploded to epic proportions ! Now playing 3 up front, Innisvilla grabbed a somewhat fortunate equaliser and quickly wanted to get the match restarted. Again, they pressed forward for a winner, but with time now elapsed, it was Carrigtwohill who were to score – this time Ronan Ymedi slotting home from the edge of the box having run on to a clever through ball from midfield. 3-2 and Innishvilla now had every man in the Carrigtwohill half and as they were living on the edge, Ronan created yet another chance which went over the bar when everyone present was certain it would go in.

With the clock now 4 minutes into injury time and the supporters nervously waiting for the final whistle, it seemed impossible that Innishvilla would score – but they did. Good work on the right wing found their attacker on the edge of the box and he slotted the ball into the left corner of the net and that proved to be the final kick of the match.

Both teams were relieved and disappointed – Innishvilla were glad to get a draw but this result was to deny them the league title and it was Kanturk who were crowned Champions on the night. For Carrigtwohill, it was a second season whereby an injury time goal was to deny them victory (or promotion in the case of last season) but they were again to show that they were a match for any team in the division on their day.

Some superb performances on the night, no more so than Darragh Hoare and Ebe Imoh both of whom had outstanding performances and the whole squad are to be congratulated for the fine effort they have made in this year’s division.

Player of the Match – Ebe Imoh