League Cup v Youghal United in Ardrath Park on Wednesday 26th August 2015
Youghal United 1 Carrigtwohill United 0

The Youths season finally got under way last night when they traveled to Youghal to play there East Cork counterparts in the Youth League Cup, this game was unique in that this section of the league groupings was made up of just two teams so it was a straight knock out game to progress to the quarter finals.

Carrigtwohill’s starting eleven was much changed from the team that finished runners up in the u-17 1A league just a few short months ago with a total of 5 of the starting 11 making their debuts.

Carrig started with confidence and built up early momentum with some slick passing movements, it was especially pleasing on the eye as the attacks were starting from our own back-line, and in particular debutante holding midfielder Paul Barry executing a number of quality cross field passes.

Our full backs, Kevin Daly on the left and Dylan Walsh on the right, like Barry making there first starts for the club settled well, with Walsh making the tackle of the game inside his own box just before halftime thwarting what was looking like a certain goal for the hosts. Club Stalwarts Conor Keegan and Jamie Long kept things tight in central defence and were rarely troubled in the first half.

Carrig totally dominated proceedings in the first half in midfield with Chinna Iganbousi, Victor Mazur (completing the line up of debutantes), Andrew McMahon and Cormac Horgan causing all sorts of problems for Youghal. Conor Harte lead the line up front showing great running and was a constant thorn in the side of the hometown defenders.

However despite the dominance shown by Carrig, it was a story of missed opportunities to take a deserved lead into the halftime break through a combination of hesitation, poor finishing and some good goalkeeping from the opposition keeper.

The second half was a more competitive affair with Youghal introducing new players who made an immediate impact tightening up the midfield area and showing more purpose up front. Youghal also started to play a higher line which proved a tactical masterstroke as time and time again The Carrig players fell foul of a very effective offside trap.

The game was now being played at a raised tempo which made for more enjoyable viewing for the quite sizeable crowd present.

Carrigs ever dependable Goal keeper Gearoid Cody was now more involved in the game and showed great hands and awareness coming to collect crosses and made one critical interception when Youghal broke free of the Carrig defense.

Carrig pressed throughout the second half but it was just not happening in front of goal for the Carrig lads and midway through the second half the inevitable happened when Youghal took the lead when hesitation in clearing the Carrig lines around the edge of the box allowed Youhal through to poke the ball past an exposed Carrig keeper. This goal served to really open up the game with end to end football. Carrig introduced Tom O’Brien, Reece Hawkins and Morgan Doody in an effort to force an equalizer. The best chance fell to Hawkins who showed a great turn of pace but his shot on the run found the side netting. The game ended with Carrig pressing hard, but on the night lady luck was with Youghal.

Carrig now have league football to concentrate on. These league fixtures will prove to be greater tests as this Youth team will be playing in the Premier league. Time and patience will be required as this team evolves but on the evidence of last nights performance this team showed signs that they can compete in the top tier of Youth football in Cork.

Ballyseedy Home & Gardens Player of the Match : Kevin Daly.